Sunday, June 14, 2009

What is Gluten anyway?


So after a year and a half of trying to figure out what is wrong with me, we have finally figured out its Gluten. For those that have seen me I have a slightly abnormal babypooch that is really not comprised of much fat. Ok so I really look pregnant still and get many comments about it. The dr's said oh you just need to diet and exercise and the muscles will pull back together and you will be good as new. Well I did that got to prepregnancy weight and the belly is still there and not only that it is hard. This is not a normal post baby belly I knew something was not right. Even through the pregnancy I looked like I was carrying triplets.

Having gone from a personal trainer to looking 6 months pregnant all year long was so devistating. The only other answer I got from a dr. was surgery but that would mean no more kids because they would have to sew up my abdominal muscles. So I had just resinged myself to wearing a belly band and living with it until I was done having kids.

Then one day my wonderful husband came home from work talking about a conversation he had with another guy at work. He had said that guys wife had never had kids and looked about 5 months pregnant until they figured out it is a wheat.gluten allergy. That after she stopped eating food with gluten in it as soon as 3 weeks it had reduced in size dramaticlly.

So curious myself I googled gluten allergy and celiac disease I realized I had many of the symptoms. The only way to diagnose it is to either A. eat the gluten heavy for 6 weeks and feel miserable to have the dr's tell me to quit eating it. or B. stop eating it. I chose b. Since I have eliminated foods with gluten or wheat I feel a hundred times better. I never realized how bloated and uncomfortable I felt. I had gone almost 3 weeks until the other night I caved and had pizza. I have never felt more sick and uncomfortable and thus proving to myself it really is the gluten allergy. The good news is that my belly is softening up and slowly reducing in size who knew it was a food allergy all along! Yeay!!

2 comments:

Stacey Mowers and Family said...

Sounds like I need to go get checked!! LOL I have no good excuse because I just plain flat out LOVE to eat!! I have to go to the gym faithfully or else....
Glad you figured it out, that is the worst feeling to get asked how far along you are and your not even pregnant. Hang in there chick, you look good.

Robyn Hollobaugh said...

Thats awesome! I'm so glad you discovered that and are feeling better. Thats pretty crazy.